It is a flat round bread baked on an upside down iron wok hot surface. This is an easy recipe for Saj bread:
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (about 110 to 115°)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for coating the dough
Saj Bread Preparation
- Put yeast in 1/4 cup of the water; add sugar and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Sift 2 1/2 cups of flour and the salt into a warm bowl. Form a well in the center; pour in yeast mixture and remaining warm water.
- Begin to mix with hand, wooden spoon, or dough hook, adding remaining flour as needed. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth and no longer sticky.
- Oil a large bowl; place dough in bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place free of drafts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Dough should be doubled in bulk.
- Knead for a few minutes then divide into balls about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll balls into circles on a lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, or flatten into circles with hand.
- Flip the flattened dough on a curved hot surface (similar to an upside down wok). Bake for less than a minute on one side and then flip to cook the other side.
- Sometimes you only cook on one side, depends on your preference. Pile your bread sheets and cover to keep soft and warm or serve immediately.
- You may use these sheets of bread as a wrap for anything you like such as cheese, meats or veggies.