Hebron (Al-Khalil) City
Arabic AL-KHALIL, in full AL-KHALIL AR-RAHMAN ("The Beloved of [Allah] the Merciful" [a reference to Abraham]). Hebron, city in the southern Judaean Hills, south-southwest of Jerusalem. It is 3,050 feet (930 m) above sea level. In modern times, it was part of mandated Palestine during 1923-48; after the Arab-Israeli War of 1948-49, it was in the territory annexed by Jordan (1950); since the Six-Day War of June 1967, it has been part of the West Bank territory under Israeli administration.
Al Khalil (City of Abraham Hebron City)
Hebron is one of the oldest cities in the region; because of its associations with the Prophets Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, it is one of the holy cities in Palestine for Christian and Islam, which reveres Abraham as a founder of monotheism and precursor of Prophet Muhammad.
General view of Hebron
Modern Hebron is an agricultural marketing and trade center, with glass and leather manufactures. The Cave of Mach-pelah is surmounted by a large mosque, al-Haram al-Ibrahimi al-Khalil (The Sanctuary of Abraham, the Friend). After six days war between the Arab and Israel, Israel occupied the City and allowed for a small Orthodox Jewish community to settle their among the large Palestinian community, as a result that in 1994 a Jewish settler open a fire towards the Palestinian while the praying in Al-Haram Al-Ibrahimi (The Abraham mosque) which kill at least 29 of them.